Thursday 1 December 2011

Swim 2.4 miles, Cycle 112 miles and Run 26.2 miles

The problem is even if you say it fast its still a bloody long way. Up until 8pm yesterday I could allow doubt, I could still come up with excuses as to why not to do it such as the commitment to training, the costs involved, the additional amount of boring I become by having two more exercise disciplines to talk about to people who just arent interested, the inconvenience, the blogging, the fear, the effort and ultimately the ridiculous effort and body stress of the event itself! The problem is that none of these excuses wash particularly when you consider that my niece Poppy has had a daily 7 year battle with a brain tumour and battles each day with a smile on her face, Abi picks herself up after each knock down battling her brain tumour and a stroke. Niether of them can make excuses they have no choice. Consequently I dont think I have either. I am lucky to have Mrs Brightside supporting me through each gradually more ridiculous endeavour, family around me with constant encouragement and friends offering training help, support advise and tips, prepared to run with me on a freezing December morning or drag me around Staffordshire at 20mph on a bike for 4 hours. Add to that a group of cyber nutters on Twitter quick to support and help whilst doing their own impossible! So I have done the deed. As of 8pm last night I am officially entered for the Outlaw Ironman Triathlon July 1st 2012 in Nottingham. The feeling is exactly the same as clicking the confirm button when registering for the Edinburgh Marathon - the first and hardest step? That seemed impossible when I entered it too - it proved not to be! So, the knees have been pain free for a week, I've ordered my Merida today, a dermatologist is due to see my face Jan 30th (Jan 30th FFS!), I should be cycling next week, running by Xmas and swimming Jan/Feb at the latest. I've got the small matter of a little training run around London April 22nd and a warm down stage cycle of JOGLE Relay race August 10th as well. I guarantee nothing other than some ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment