Tuesday 13 December 2011

Comedy fall avoided?

Damn that felt good! First real exercise since my knees went funny Nov 1st. Not running just yet the plan is to cycle in some fitness and then ease back into the running. So, my first bike session was this morning. I try and fit my training in early so as to minimise the impact on family life. Up at 5:30 am for a snack, some stretching, cutting tags off the new shoes, gloves etc. Outside looked dry and calm suprisingly so I went for shorts, skin layer, cycling shirt and 'you failed to get into London Marathon 2008 reject' jacket. Wooly hat under my helmet, reflective bib, Garmin in pocket and I was ready to go looking very much like Toad from Mariokart! I reluctantly peeled the protective plastic wrapping off my handlebars accepting the fact my new Merida Road 75 is a tool for IM and is gonna get dirty. Its the same with new trainers though isn't it? Always a tinge of sadness when you step in the first muddy puddle in them. In my mind the plan was to keep it steady, get used to the bike and NOT, definitely NOT fall foul of the right of passage many had told me about of getting my feet stuck unable to unclip when coming to a stop and falling slowly to the left or right still attached! Right shoe clipped in no problem and off I went leftie clicking in with ease too. No cars about at 6am as I approached my first hazard. A straight forward right turn at island. Nothing coming but I do need to slow a little as the island is quite tight, the ground is wet and brand new tyres not yet warmed up. I recall you're supposed to brake with the rear brake first so I pulled the rear brake lever only for nothing at all to happen. Pulled again ('was I pulling the gear change lever instead' went through my head) still nothing. Thankfully the front brake worked - everything under control - negotiated island and pulled over. Remembering to unclip leftie whilst stopping and comedy fall moment easily avoided. Checked the brakes and the back one needs adjusting as it simply doesnt work! Thought about going home but that would have annoyed me. Decided to press on as one brake should be fine for a first gentle outing on the bike. These new fangled bikes are a lot different from my Raleigh Racer 10 speed circa 1984ish. Quick, light, smooth provided a very enjoyable jaunt around Tamworth for 42 mins and about 8.1 miles. Two further stop moments after the brake check and no problems both times. Feeling quite pleased with myself as I pulled into my street confident I had avoided the comedy fall moment @JWUltra & @Dazhalfpenny had warned me about. As I slowed still wary of a fall I unclipped leftie no problem rolled over to the kerb on my right and stopped....only to instinctively lean right to put right foot on the kerb which of course was not possible as it was still clipped in place!! So I fell, in slow motion, breaking my fall with my right hand, holding my bike off the ground with my left, and lay on the floor chuckling to myself with embarressment. Thankfully it was still pitch black and I could see no one about but what an arse I am! Still cant believe it actually happened! It was great to get a sweat on again after so many weeks of inactivity and bloody thrilling to get out on the bike and begin my IM cycle training. Already looking forward to adding runs on afterwards (a brick session I am told). Knees feel fine, bike brilliant, me happy. Gotta get the brake sorted obviously and tweak mudguard at front as it seems too tight to tyre and the little mudguard brush slows the wheel in free spin! Really looking forward to getting up to speed on the bike and getting some miles in. Think I am going to enjoy it. Looking forward to a blast with @rmcycling @jwultra @madlot1 soon! Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the comedy fall club. now you got that out of the way. you can start training. we will need to organise a ride soon

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking stuff! And here was me thinking you'd make your 1st journey without the comedy fall!

    ReplyDelete